Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Landfill

Last week I had cause to be out on a landfill site, so basically a large hole in the ground and lots of big trucks and diggers coming and a going.

At one point we had to attract the attention of the site foreman who at the time happened to be driving a big yellow digger, in the order of around three times my height, with a big shovel on the end. The guy was literally attacking the landscape with this thing with considerable success. Suffice to say I was a little nervous of approaching mainly due to concerns about being squashed. Thankfully I wasn’t and everything worked out nicely. I tell you though, heavy plant is a lot bigger and scarier up close, and this wasn’t even the big big stuff.

Hanging out on a landfill site and being forced into knowing all about it got me thinking though about how landfill really isn’t very satisfactory. Dig a big hole, fill it with rubbish, put a lid on to stop it getting out. Some nice soil on top and no-ones the wiser. Just doesn’t sit right. Its like emptying the contents of your vacuum onto your living room floor, putting a plastic sheet over it and a rug on top. You can’t see it but you know its there and at some point, for some reason, surely there's going to be a problem.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bloody hell! You've just justified the reason for recycling! Does that mean you might actually start recycling after my two years of nagging?!

Nick said...

I do do recycling now (glass, paper, plastic bags) but probably should do more.