Thursday, September 29, 2005

English Riviera

I am imminently (next week) faced with the prospect of having to visit another local authority to see their computer software which are the same systems my employer has resolved it would be a good idea to get on account of getting extra funding and stuff from the government because of it.

However, this other authority happens to be based in Torquay which is really a long way to go to spend a few hours looking at computer software and suffice to say the journey there and back will take longer than the actual event itself. Now I don’t have an objection to the principle of this as having a nose round Torquay which I haven’t been to for years, but do remember being rather nice, could certainly be a bit of fun.

However the practicalities of the situation leave much to be desired. I am going with three other people, one guy who for family reasons has to get there and back in a day and two middle aged women who are going down together the preceding evening and staying overnight in a hotel (and appear to have unseemly designs on the local male populace of Torquay).

Suffice it to say I am not particularly amenable to either of these situations. I don’t feel like hanging around with a pair of middle aged ladies for five hours in a car and then spending the evening with them but suspect that if I want to stop overnight I will have this situation forced upon me. I don’t think I would be able to exercise any control over my accommodation or be able to satisfactorily avoid them.

However, neither do I relish the idea of having to get up at 5am, travel 5 hours down to Torquay by either train or car, spend 5 hours there and then travel 5 hours back, all in one day. However I am struggling to come up with an alternative.

What I would really like is to be able to head down to Torquay under my own steam the previous day, find myself a separate hotel of my choosing and spend the afternoon and evening having a nose round Torquay maybe visiting a few quiet local pubs, a wander along the beach front, trip to the local cinema and then maybe saunter back to the hotel for the night. Sounds quite nice seeing as I would be getting paid for it. However, I am struggling to work out how I can swing this situation given the limited time available to me.

8 comments:

Nick said...

Yeah it looks like will be going by train there and back in one day which is not the worst situation but not the best either. Leave at 6am, back by 10pm. The prospect of being on trains for nearly ten hours is forcing me to consider actually buying a psp, pda or other similar entertainment device.

Nick said...

Work took it back off me :(.

Anonymous said...

But on the bright side, surely you will have a claim for 8 hours travel time - which must be time and a half right? :-)

Nick said...

Yeah, I should get a massive chunk of cash for it so it's not all bad.

Anonymous said...

I reckon if your are gonna train it, a PSP would definately be a valuable addition to that journey

Nick said...

Bng, I thought you would have been a bigger supporter of the high tech option.

Anonymous said...

I had to be on site in Accrington, East Lancashire at 7.30am last Thurs!!!!!

Nick said...

Yes, I can see how that would suck rather.