Thursday, September 15, 2005

House

My friend Kate has bought a house in High Wycombe (photo pending) and my biggest congratulations to her for it.

I would love to say that it is a dream home and the sort of place that you could move into and happily retire in. However, I can’t, because its not. Sorry.

What I can say with a good degree of confidence is that she has picked up a smart little house, with great proportions, a fantastic deck and secluded garden out back, all with amazing potential and in one of the most expensive areas in the country, by herself. I don’t actually know anybody else who has done that and I think that deserves recognition. At the moment it isn’t much to look at but it has stacks of potential and I know that Kate will make a great job of it and turn it into a wonderful home. Good luck Kate.

Meanwhile I keep thinking more and more about how cool The Quarters in High Wycombe looks and how I could quite easily picture myself in a flat there and, well, in actual fact have done so. Those marketing folks are earning their fee on that one.

Setting aside that I couldn’t even afford a tiny one bed flat in the cheapest block shoved up right next to the A40, it just wouldn’t be a rational purchase. Something like Kate’s ‘bit rough round the edges but will scrub up well’ would be much more sensible. Not that I am thinking of buying for the time being mind. I don’t have the level of commitment to anywhere at the moment to dare, affordability notwithstanding.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Think it would be a bit worrying if I was planning to retire in Micklefield!
Do feel it's a only fair to point out that I had a itty bitty help from the folks!

K8 said...

Boo. Confusing. Too many Kate's. One/both of us will have to adopt a nickname. Nick you can choose. (I may live to regret this after Nick's chosen name for the BNG's pantry).

Nick said...

Well I have an unpublished draft post with you in as K8 to give some distinction.

Or I can come up with other alternatives...?

K8 said...

That it a good idea. I will have to fiddle about with my account.