Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Employment

At the moment I am bored with my job, I can’t get anything done because [withdrawn] and I end up taking the flack, for which I get zero credit. So I am leaving. However, first I have to find somewhere to go. Here are the details of the stuff I am applying for and have applied for in chronological order and brief commentary on my feelings about them.

Rushmoor Borough Council - Senior Planner: Based in Farnborough, very small authority covering just Farnborough and Aldershot with an airstrip in the middle. Professional outfit, smartest local authority I’ve ever had an interview with. Didn’t get offered the job, not too bothered, probably wouldn’t have taken it even if they had, couldn‘t offer me anything I haven‘t seen or done before. Also met my competition at the interview and they were decent guys and certainly very good competition so I have no hard feelings about it. Good interview experience.

Reading Borough Council - Senior Planner: Applied, they didn’t even offer me an interview. Bit odd that, I thought, given the massive of shortage of planners in the south east of England and that I fitted their spec spot on.

Aylesbury Vale District Council - Senior Planner: Local sideways move, not a big change. Initially really excited about, now not so sure as I would probably end up having to live in Aylesbury for financial and commuterish reasons which is well, unacceptable. There are a lot of crap towns in the south east of England but Aylesbury is a god awful steaming chav hole of the first order that I know far too well to be able to move there. Also it’s a sideways move and probably not much more money. Haven’t returned application forms yet but probably will.

Reading Borough Council - Head of Enforcement: By a wide margin, the most mental job I am considering applying for on two accounts. One, enforcement is crazy, god knows why I would want to be in charge of the crazy and have management responsibilities. Two, they didn’t want to talk to me as a Senior Planner so why the hell are they going to want to make me Head of Enforcement. Then again most folks don’t want to do enforcement and they had to re-advertise the job so puts me in a stronger position. Sending application off this week.

West Berkshire Borough Council - Principal Planner: Looks like a good move, no management responsibility but high profile work. Based in Newbury and outside my comfort zone but it’s a just about acceptable commute along the A4 from Reading which is within my comfort zone so possibly a runner. Have asked for details.

[withdrawn] - Principal Planner: No firm details on this as of yet but looks interesting. Pay looks good, would need to be if I have to relocate that way.

Wycombe District Council - undisclosed position: My ex-boss [withrawn] has indicated that a reshuffle may open up a position with his new employer.

Making a decision is all the harder on the basis that my present flat is linked to my job but also happens to be rather nice, really cheap, in a decent area and a five minute commute from work which really offsets a lot of the objections I can have about work.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Few points:
1. You better hope Tracey has no concept of blogs!
2. Really wierd Reading didn't even offer you an interview - you sure they actually got your application?
3. You didn't mention your fantastic colleagues in the plus points about your current job!

Nick said...

Of course all the great people I work with I should have mentioned. Sorry folks, you do feature.

What is actaully said in my blog and the level of publicity of it is actually going to be a post itself at some stage as these are all issues I have seriusly thought about.

Possibly sooner rather than later.

Anonymous said...

I notice Sheffield Council is absent from your list...?

Nick said...

yes, but only because no positions are being advertised. I am very much restricted by what is actually available.

This post only originated out of a very recent deluge of the five new contenders when up until now only two have come up.

Anonymous said...

Have you tried a recruitment consultant, who will do the hard work for you and can get you jobs that are not advertised. This may work best in a big market like London but worth a go.

Anonymous said...

I pimped my friend to a recruitment consultant today and get £200 for it..wohah