Friday, January 20, 2006

28 (20 working) days later

Caution, this post contains wanky, and no doubt dull, introspective nonsense. However, I have added some arguably unnecessary links to jazz it up a little.

As of Monday I have only four weeks left at my present job. I have been feeling increasingly weird about this as time has gone on although I don’t think its just leaving my present job; fairly big changes are afoot in general with other associated stuff going on at the same time.

I have been dying to get away from my current job for a little while now and, when going to work for the past six months or so, have been thinking ‘why am I doing this and where the hell is it getting me?’ (Answer: don’t know and nowhere, respectively). But now I am going to work in the morning and counting down the days (I have even numbered the days to count down in my outlook calendar) and as they get fewer and fewer the inevitability of some major changes gets greater and greater.

A number of people have commented that I have been bouncing around work with an uncharacteristic level of energy and enthusiasm. In honesty I didn’t notice this until it was pointed out to me however I think I can guess what is prompting it. Even so, my impending departure still leaves me with a degree of nervousness at what is coming next.

I have been with my present employer for three and a half years now. This is, by a wide margin, the longest time I have been in any single job (although I suppose its two jobs, technically speaking) and it is a long time. This is compounded by my moving flat at the same time which I have been in for nearly as long as I have been at my present work. I haven’t lived in the same place for this long since I left London (by which I mean the watered down suburbs of Middlesex) in 1996. And this is where it gets a bit circular as I am going to work soon in a place just a few miles up the road from where I left nearly ten years ago now.

The circular weirdness aside, at the same time I am going to miss doing what I do at the moment because it is familiar and seeing the people I am used to seeing especially as I like quite a lot of them.

Anyway, I’m not too sure what the point of this post is, aside from possibly illustrating a mixture of apprehensive excitement and abject terror about what is to come combined with a sense of relief and nostalgia about leaving.

Would be nice if I knew I had a nice flat to move to mind (seeing five seven more this weekend).

5 comments:

K8 said...

Maybe a nice Myers Briggs test will help you to identify why you are so happy/apprehensive about all these changes going on in your life

http://www.myersbriggs.org/

Nick said...

That costs money and stuff!

K8 said...

just read it and guess what you are. that is what i did.

Nick said...

OK, done that, didn't like what it said so I changed my answers. Bet that would confuse the test a bit!

Nick said...

Hey, that would be a fairly abrubt career direction change. My new employer might be a bit pissed if I opted for that just now mind!