Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Maidenhead baby

So I made a rental offer for a nice two bed flat in Maidenhead yesterday morning. I got a ring from the agent in the late afternoon after a painfully long wait all day who said that the landlord had accepted the offer and we could start talking about references and moving in dates and stuff so that is really rather exciting. (Yippee) (photos of the outside are in How much?! and the inside of a similar flat, two floors up, in Phone dump).

In honesty I didn’t have much hope of getting very far with this place because the flat seems to me to be under priced compared to others I have seen to start with, my offer was really insulting (I thought) and having spoken to the current tenants, who are still there so its not like the landlord is desperate for a new tenant, my offer was also like well below what they are paying.

Anyway, so I am pretty pleased with how that worked out as I now hopefully have secured a jazzy new flat with two bedrooms, living room, small dinning room (yeah, check that out, a dining room!) and good sized kitchen. Drawbacks are that it is a little further walk from the train station than I would have liked, no dishwasher and it has electric heating. However these minor points are like really small compared to the amazing amount of space I recon I have got, a nice little garden area, near to shops, a spare room (!) and all for an acceptable rent.

All I have to do now is make sure the landlord gets shot of those current tenants pretty damn quick so I can move in before I have to start the new job.

Of course I didn’t hear from the agent about all this until pretty much the end of the day, five minutes before I was due at two viewings with another agent in Ruislip. So I felt I had to kinda pretend that I hadn’t found anywhere and look round these two shitty flats with this other agent guy because I thought it was a bit late to cancel. Actually it wasn’t that bad because its always fun to have a bit of a nose around and like I say, these other two places I saw were pretty dire (think flowery wallpaper, kitchen off the set of Trainspotting and even worse - no off street parking). I suppose it was worth it really as it re-affirmed my belief that I had picked the right one already.

I am really pleased how this has worked out as thinking back a month or two ago I was sure I was going to end up in some dive studio flat with views of the A40 or Heathrow Airport or a sewage works, or even worse, in Slough.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I notice how you have failed to mention that this flat is in the heart of a Council Estate, and with you being a giant snob it goes against your normal standards....

Nick said...

Its not on a Council estate (just near a small and otherwise very well respected one). Hence I don't need to lower my high standards.

And I guess I could sub-let, I prefer the idea of having a guest room tho!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Nick, the flat looks really nice. Lots of space for inviting people round for dinner : )

Nick said...

Thanks. And everyone is welcome to come round!