Monday, April 17, 2006

Stuff II

So about six months ago I compiled a list of stuff that I wanted. Here it is again but this time with an update as to how things have moved on (struck out if I got it and commentary in italics):

Flashy digital camera - Got one incorporated as part of my new(ish) mobile phone
Jazzy mobile phone - Erm, see above (?)
Touch screen multi device remote control- Well it’s not touch screen but I got a multi device remote control for Christmas
Big TFT monitor - Check
Car (some sort of coupe) - Scratch this one, I don’t use my car enough any more to justify this
Another pair of white trainers (cos the ones I’ve got are getting a bit mucky) - I can’t find a pair I like so I gave the old ones a wash
Big double bed - Yes still waiting on this one
Sofa (one of the ones that goes round corners) - Not only have I not achieved this one, I actually threw the sofa I did have in the dump
PDA - Not interested in this any more
Laptop - Yup, still want one of these
PSP - Or some other portable media player still needed
X-Box 360 - Lost interest in this
Wireless micro surround sound system - Yeah that would be good
Watch - Forgot about this one
New suit - Yes, er, see the dry cleaning conundrum
Set of good non-stick pans - Well I bought another one recently so now I have two non-stick pans, that’s a set right?
Suede leather bean bag - Not allowed to get this now
Poncy imported beers - Check (of course)

Now my post six months ago was supported with a link to some sage advice from Cat and Girl which, in summary, said stuff can’t buy you happiness (but managed to do so in a way that implied capitalism was fundamentally flawed as a consequence but I am not going into that).

This is, to an extent true, although I have been pretty happy with the purchases I did make. However changing jobs, moving flats and just doing something entirely new and different to what I was doing when I wrote stuff has had a much bigger effect.

No comments: