Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Repetition

(Almost) every morning I board the 08:15 train from Maidenhead to London Paddington. As a consequence my morning routine has to be pretty ordered and I end up leaving my flat at almost exactly the same time every day in order to complete my eight minute walk (front door to platform edge) to the station.

On my walk every morning I pass walking in the opposite direction people who (I presume) have just left trains arriving at Maidenhead. Of course they, like me, are locked into a routine by train timetables so we pass each other at almost exactly the same point every day. These people are (and generally in this order):

Tall guy with skinny jeans and light jacket.
School kid with broken leg (presuming this will not be a permanent feature) and his two friends.
School kid with no friends.
Chubby girl with dark jacket.
Older guy with blue-grey jacket who looks a bit like a flasher.
Two black guys sitting at Shoppenhangers Road bus stop.

I recognise them and they, I would imagine, recognise me. Its hard not to even after just a few weeks of doing this as it happens at the same time and place every day and we all always wear almost exactly the same thing.

Sometimes I think that perhaps I should start saying ‘hi’ or giving an acknowledging nod to these people (obviously not to the school kids who I try to knock over). Crazier ideas include doing something bizarre one day to keep them on their toes. I can’t help but think that this little routine crossover we have is something that could capitalise on and make life more interesting. Just not sure how to go about it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe one day you could walk to the station walking backwards? Might be a bit difficult to see where you are going, but might keep the people on their toes!

Anonymous said...

maybe you should talk to the people you see everyday. I know people who get on the same carriage of the same train with the same people everyday and they eventually start to chat to each other. Perhaps you could bring travel scrabble or something one day and try to engage one of your regulars in a match.

Nick said...

Walking backwards eh? I have enough trouble getting there on time going forwards. And I haven't recognised anyone on the train but it is quite busy. Its only walking to the station.