Monday, April 03, 2006

Literature

Some literature I have read over the past few months that I thought was pretty good:

Curious incident of the dog in the night time (find a long journey and read it all in one go, made me want to laugh and cry at the same time).

How to be good (cynically reassuring in a positive way).

High society (a bit trashy and obvious but thoroughly readable).

God’s debris (mildly thought provoking and free, the ending gave me one of those shivers down the back of your spine, first and only time that has happended from reading a pdf document).

What I found a bit too heavy:

The light of other days (the text is too small and the content too clever for my relatively low-brow tastes).

Currently reading:

Life of pi (slow starter and nearly gave up on it but it suddenly gets really good at page 97).

Does anyone have any recomendtaions as I probably will haved finished Life of Pi by the end of the week Tuesday what with my current high-literature-consumption train riding lifestyle.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recently read "A Year in the Merde" which was very funny- about a man who goes to live in France. Have you joined the library in Maidenhead yet? I find that charity shops and car boot sales are a good source of reading material. Andy has started getting James Bond books from charity shops, but they're not really my bag. Have you read a book called something like "Confessions of a Groupie" by Pamela De Barres? its an excellent account of a young and free hippy in 1960s/70s LA. She spends the night with numerous stars- keith moon, gram parsons, jimmy page etc and it makes for very entertaining reading. Or what about "Goddess"? its a conspiracy thoery book about Marylin Monroes death and i was hooked on it.

Anonymous said...

Ive just finished reading "A Long Way Round", the Ewan Macgregor book about his motorcycle journey with his best mate going the long way around the world from London across europe, asia and america, its really worth a read

Nick said...

ok, cool, thanks guys, will check them out although i am a bit dubious about this car boot thing. my only involvement has been giving them enforcement notices!

Anonymous said...

Going to car boot sales is brilliant! Theres a big one on sundays near Taplow station. I wish that you never had to enforce them. You can get some amazing things at them. The best things we've gotten are: an old fire bell that you have to crank to make it ring and Andy got naked lady playing cards from the 60s, they're very cool. I got a poster of Some Like it Hot and my power puff girls jumper and my friend charlotte got a badge that says "I'd love a new gas cooker", of which I am jealous!

Nick said...

Have seen the one at Taplow. Drove past and was all over the thinking about how much it needed an enforcement notice!