Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Winter break

Well, I am now back and reblogging again after my little excursion to northern Europe. And it was well, cold. However, having got back to England I am pretty sure it is colder here so I don’t feel hard done by in the slightest.

What with it being a multi-destination break arrived at care of the channel tunnel, I spent a lot of time on trains. Eurostar is brilliant, much nicer than getting on a plane and so delightfully easy and hassle free. Trains in Holland and Belgium are also good. I liked that when our train from Amsterdam to Brussels was running late they just (apparently randomly) axed stops with scant notice. Probably would have pissed me off though if my stop had been one of the ones they axed.

Accommodation was excellent in Brussels and really actually pretty dire in Amsterdam despite being more expensive. The Belgian hoteliers were welcoming and accommodating whilst their Dutch counterparts turned out to be a bunch back packing stoner loosers.

However, Amsterdam was a much more interesting city with a bit more going on. Ignoring the whole stoner nonsense, which I really don’t have time for, it seems like a very pleasant place. Possibly one of the most similar places to England in Europe that I have been though. I was frequently mistaken for being Dutch and actually quiet enjoyed passing myself off as a quiet Dutch person (quiet because I can’t speak a word of Dutch) (although that having been said the whole Dutch language seems to be constructed from taking a couple of English words and a couple of German words and sticking them together with some extra vowels).

Brussels was also pleasant and although I spent only a short time there by comparison to Amsterdam I think I can say with some confidence that I have seen most of it. No disrespect to the fine hosts but it is not an exciting city.

I think I will stick up some photos in a forthcoming post now that I have worked out how to upload them onto my pc from my phone but am not doing it now because getting them onto blogger takes a little time. Time I am now going to spend ironing my shirt for work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good do mate. Was it a works thing or did you just fancy a week off?

And I would like to see you pictures please :-)

Nick said...

Ah, and your wish is fulfilled...