Thursday, November 03, 2005

H5N1 lite

I’m ill. Despite trying to ignore it and hoping it would go away of its own accord (because up until now I didn’t have time to be ill), I am now laid out being all hot and shivery and sore throatish. I am presently in that phase where lucozade tastes good and having a diet consisting of squishy fruit, soft bread and soup.

Don’t get me wrong though, I am not complaining (too much). It’s actually quite nice to have a break where I can’t really do much apart from wrap in layers and sit around and watch TV. It’s been a little while since I have had the opportunity to not do anything.

The interview with Ealing BC yesterday was interesting but I am not going to theorise on the outcome of it. I shall just wait and see.

I was however more than a little baffled by their offices. I was met in main reception and taken through about five (seriously chunky) security doors before arriving in what looked like an internet café. There were small desks with computers on, a cafeteria with tables and chairs, breakfast bars and a lounge area with a big plasma tv all decked out with lots of white walling, jaunty lighting and masses of glass.

It was only after the interview that I was told that this was the planning department. Nobody had their own desk or paperwork (which included heads of service etc). You just sat where you liked for whatever suited. A meeting in the cafeteria, day-to-day work at a computer, concentrated work in a quiet room. And it was all almost completely paperless. Not too sure what to make of it. It was all very interesting and different but couldn’t help but get the impression that they were enforcing a relaxed working environment which as a consequence wasn’t relaxed at all.

No comments: