Tuesday, November 08, 2005

All change (subject to completion of satisfactory paperwork)

Yesterdays post was hardly the dramatic ‘check this out I have a new job’ that I intended it to be. Rather it turned out to be a rather mundane rendition of how me and my prospective employer didn’t really manage to sort out what exactly was going on.

I had intended this whole thing to go something along these lines:

Me: This job you have offered me a princely sum for, I would like to take it.
Head of Planning: Excellent work, good to have you on board.
Me: It’s a pleasure Sir; I will have those references in the mail to you today.
Head of Planning: Likewise, I shall ensure your contract is also dispatched forthwith.

However, it didn’t. I never got to formally accept the job and only, I think, conveyed that I wanted it by harassing a large number of people over the course of the day to finally be informed by my recruitment consultant’s stand in (who I think mentioned was nevertheless very nice) that the Head of Planning had got the message but was on holiday until next week and we’d sort out the particulars when he was back.

But anyway, reservations about how it has worked out thus far and will pan out in future aside, I should have a new job. At the moment I am feeling a mixture of being excited about doing something new, in a fresh environment with all kinds of different challenges but equally really rather nervous and slightly scared that this is going to be a very, very big change.

First of all I need to work out where I am going to live. Not wanting to really want to share a place, end up in a small studio flat or have a massive commute my choices are pretty much defined as being somewhere between Harrow and Uxbridge on the Piccadilly Line linking into North Ealing tube station or to intercity it from Slough (yuck) or Maidenhead into Ealing Broadway. The current front runner is Ruislip which has the fairly decent trade off of being about a 40 minute commute (one way) combined with just about acceptable rental payments on a one/two bed flat. But I need to do further research into stuff before committing.

I think the next few months are going to be interesting but perhaps not necessarily enjoyable as I try to sort all this stuff out. However I am not doing anything for the time being. I want some solid paperwork from these people before I'm even going to consider handing my notice in or make any other permanent changes.

10 comments:

K8 said...

Harrow is not on the picadilly. I will assume you mean South Harrow and it is worth remembering that the picadilly line only runs between rayners lane and Uxbridge at peak hours (whatever thise may be).

K8 said...

Woo Ruislip. That is exciting. I can help you find something nice if you like. I have had a quick look and you are looking at around £600-800 per month to rent round there.

That will be so cool if you get somewhere in Ruislip because I will have somewhere to escape to when my folks get a bit boring.

K8 said...

ruislip manor is worth looking at. It is a bit cheaper than Ruislip

http://www.findaproperty.com/agent.aspx?agentid=4690&opt=prop&pid=379177

Anonymous said...

South Harrow or Rayners Lane are both nice... South Harrow would probably be cheaper to rent in though (although key selling point... Rayners Lane does have a Wimpy). Sth Harrow is close to 'the Hill'. If you move into the neighbourhood I'll have to take you out to my favourite pub up in Harrow, the Castle.

Nick said...

The whole 'piccadilly not running at peak time after Rayners Lane' worried me to start with but trains run from about 7am which is plenty early enough for me!

Ruislip and Ruislip Manor do seem cheapest (even if not by much) hence why front runner at the moment. That flat you picked K8 looks good (suspiciously so actually) however Rayners Lane is now moving up the scoreboard as it has a Wimpy!

K8, also I think you are the first person to ever say "Woo Ruislip. That is exciting." Yes, I just googled it, you are.

K8 said...

Eastcote has a wimpy too and a subway and it is about 15 mins walk from Ruislip Manor.

Only thing to worry about is that Ruislip manor is a bit Chav heavy. Although they don't tend to be dangerous chavs, just a bit threatening looking and stupid. Don't go in the Windmill pub it is a bit rough, and I once saw a lady stripper dancing in one of the other pubs in the high street.

Rayners lane is rubbish. There nothing there except a dodgy nightclud called Mr UK or something and maybe the Wimpy although I don't know where that is.

South Ruislip and all the other suburbs of Ruislip (bar most of Ruislip manor) are generally a bit rough too, hence the fact that Eastcote is Eastcote rather than East Ruislip and therefore is not rough at all.

K8 said...

Is the Castle on'the hill'?

K8 said...

Also apparently Lisa from Steps lives in Ruislip near the station although I am not sure if that is actually a good thing.

www.lisascottlee.com

Nick said...

So, in summary:

Ruislip: Bit rough but has Lisa from steps.
Ruislip Manor: Chav heavy but comes with strippers.
Eastcote: Near K8's house and has a Wimpy and a Subway.
Rayners Lane: A bit rubbish but has a Wimpy and you can get really early morning trains.
South Harrow: Near Harrow on the Hill and I get a free beer from Rob if I move here.

No clear leaders yet I think.

K8 said...

Ruislip isn't rough. Just south ruislip and west ruislip. We could do a guided pub crawl this weekend if you fancy it?