Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Double bookings

So I had another interview yesterday. This time with Wycombe District Council.

The interview went fine although it was a little strange being interviewed by my ex-boss. Especially when asked certain ‘typical’ questions you seem to get in interviews etc. and I generally have my ‘typical’ answers. However, I can’t exactly ‘big-up’ the stuff I did whilst one of the interviewers was my then boss. This floored me a little as I wasn’t too sure what to say, do I include the stuff I did with my ex-boss or come up with something else? Anyway I think I bodged it through just about.

However leaving the interview I was pretty certain that I preferred the [withdrawn] job. Don’t get me wrong I would quite happily settle for Wycombe and could do so with a lot less upheaval. But [withdrawn] seems a more interesting challenge.

Finishing the interview I then had to wait for an hour while the other candidates did the practical test and got interviewed before coming back for the psychometric tests at midday.

By the time I had wandered around Wycombe a little, decided I was going to get a Subway sandwich after the psychometric tests, found Subway, decided Subway was too far from the offices and the car for me to have time to get lunch from there, found an alternate sandwich place and wandered back to the offices I had kinda come to the view that I didn’t really fancy wading through an hour and a half of tests and to have a late lunch as a consequence. This especially as it would be a sandwich not from Subway. I could be spending the psychometric test time walking back to Subway and thinking about all the sandwiches I could be having for lunch and then eating the sandwich.

It occurs now that my focus on a Subway sandwich was probably symptomatic of not really wanting the job and probably being a little bit hungry too. I did the psychometric tests anyway (of course) which weren’t too bad, although I do wonder when I get given these tests at job interviews. I mean, are they really more insightful than my qualifications or are they just checking that I am as clever (or dumb) as my paperwork says I am.

Anyway, we’ll have to see how that pans out. It would be nice to be offered the job, if only for the ego boost.

I spent the afternoon having a look around Maidenhead and checking rental prices. I think Maidenhead beats Ruislip, Eastcote, South Harrow and all the other north west London places I have been thinking of moving too in terms of general atmosphere and the rental prices are comparable. Overall I think I prefer Maidenhead but my commute would be a little more complicated and may even be prohibitively expensive. I need to find out more on this.

I never did get my Subway sandwich by the way.

No comments: