Thursday, March 23, 2006

There is no I in team see you later loosers

I thought my old place of work had a high staff turnover but compared to my new employer this affliction was mild. I have been with my new employer for nearly a month now and, as of Monday, I will be the second longest person in the team of people I work in with, on average, one person leaving at the end of each week. To put this in perspective, my period of notice appears to be longer than the normal period of time folks work at the place (so clearly my employer is on to a winner hiring me already).

On the one hand this high turnover is a bad thing, as it is difficult to form any kind of meaningful relationship with anyone who is quite so transitory, not that I have really been there long enough do so with anyone anyway. Clearly getting along with the people you work with is a good thing and the rapid turnover of people to date has precluded this.

However on the other hand, the high people turnover means that folks I don’t like also go fairly quickly and I don’t have to deal with arbitrary pleasantries with them in any kind of supposed spirit of cooperation. Two people I can’t say I warmed to (but didn’t really know sufficiently well to actually be able to say I didn’t like them) left recently and the one other person who I can say I don’t think I really get along with is departing imminently which is all good for me.

Meanwhile, although I am pretty new still, for the even newer newcomers I am already part of the furniture (and knowing pretty much everything about the minor-scale piss-easy wank-planning I am dealing with at the moment) already think I am pretty rapidly becoming the oracle of everything and can soon begin to ply the minions to my mighty will of planingness.

Oh, and if this post didn’t tip you off, nobody I work with knows about the blog (which wasn’t intentional its just worked out that way). But that is the subject of one of a number of, what I think should be good posts, that I have up my sleeve for whenever I manage to get internety at home again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Which ISP are you going for nick?

K8 said...

get plus net then owain can 'fix' your internet for you like he did for us. Or bulldog.

Nick said...

ISP is bt, carried over from my old place, who are fine when things work but not so great when they don't.