Wednesday, March 01, 2006

The microfiche connection

I had a little routine at my old work where I would come in in the morning and make myself a mug of instant black coffee at some point during the first hour using the free hot water machine. Hardly a grand indulgence and it kept me reasonably content for a part of the morning.

My new work doesn’t have quite the same hot drink making facilities. For starters the kitchenette unit is located one flight of stairs up at the opposite end of the building. Once there the facilities leave much to be desired; being a rather dubious looking wall mounted hot water unit which appears to heat the water to somewhere in the region of slightly above room temperature. Additionally the kitchenette appears to have the hygiene standards of a student hall of residence. So suffice to say my previous morning coffee routine has been axed much to my disappointment.

Meanwhile, at old work, if I wanted to view historical records which was a relatively frequent occurrence I would get up from my desk and walk to the filing bays and get whatever I wanted when-so-ever I happened to choose.

At my new work, instead of walking round to the filing bays I have to either request them specially from a dedicated records store five miles up the road for delivery in the afternoon or the following day or leave the building I work in, walk three minutes down the road and into another building to inspect the records along with joe public.

So from here we conclude that I miss my morning coffee and have to go a lot further to fetch historical records. Of course in fetching historical records I have to walk past a rather nice cafe selling a fine array of fresh coffee, croissants, pastries, baguettes and really everything the hungry slash thirsty office worker could ever want.

You can probably see where this is going.

I have already become quite the patron of this rather canny little establishment (spending nearly £7 there yesterday in two visits) and I really don’t want to make a habit of it as it will cost me dearly (with a large, fresh coffee setting me back £1.50). However the promise of a very good cup of fresh coffee after a suckish commute and with no real alternative I am struggling to resist.

No comments: