Monday, March 20, 2006

All points north

This is probably going to sound a little ridiculous but I only realised this weekend that my flat faces north. I mean I looked round it before moving in, looked at it on a map, looked at it using aerial photography and lived in it for a week and it never occurred to me during all this to consider which direction it faced.

The only, but fairly major, implication of this is the amount of direct sunlight the place gets. As in, not a huge amount. My living room balcony windows face north, my kitchen window faces north and my (otherwise pretty pimp) balcony faces north. But none of them ever get any direct sunlight. Thankfully the place has three outside walls with windows so the secondary living room window (east), bedroom (east) and bathroom (west) all get morning slash evening sunshine.

Regardless of this I am still pretty happy with the place… I am just outside of five minutes walk from the train station, ten minutes from the town centre, fantastically elevated above the rest of the world on the second floor and (other than the occasional drone of an intercity 125 and the particularly irritating doo-daa horn thingy that sometimes gets blasted) in a fairly peaceful position. And also not in Slough.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Think of the benefits - none of that annoying sunlight to get on your tv screen and interrupt films/computer games etc!!

Nick said...

And I can save time but just not bothering to open the curtains.