Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Stupid Questions

So I was attempting to fill out the application forms for the [withdrawn] job which I ended up not applying to for various reasons and the contents of this post is in part symptomatic of why I didn’t.

The application forms were supposed to completed electronically which I don’t have a problem with and actually support in principle. This is a screenshot of part of it (don't even start me on the text not displaying correctly): [Sorry, image withdrawn]

How far are you willing to travel for work? Well, that depends, how far and how often do you plan on sending me places? I am happy to go to Torquay (sorry, did say I wouldn't mention that again) and back on occasion but probably not too keen on this being a daily occurrence. I wouldn’t be expecting to leave the Borough that often but that you are asking me that question makes me suspicious that your recruitment consultants are actually fishing for more details from me for their own nefarious purposes. You have given me too little information to be able to answer this question. Also, you haven’t left any room in the box for me to insert my answer. Am I supposed to delete the bit that says distance or squeeze in it afterwards?

Means of travel? Well, again that’s up to you. What do you want me to do, list modes of transport? Is this a trick question? I mean, you can go by car or train or bus or taxi. I’d probably cycle if you asked nicely and am happy to walk as long as its not too far or you can combine all these different modes of travel. Hell, we can go on a boat if you like or even a helicopter.

License type? Look, you’re fishing again, yes I have a car and can use it for work purposes if needed. You can just ask that you know, its not like you’re crossing some social taboo.

And it goes on, with this bit: [Sorry, image withdrawn].

Ok, so I can slot in two of my professional qualifications. I have more than that though and your job spec actually specifies that you want someone with more than two qualifications so why only two boxes? Continue on a separate sheet if necessary, ok fine but how do you want me to do that if I am submitting this to you electronically? (This was not the only time on this form that this issue arose).

And what’s a CSCS card? I had to look this up on the internet, answer here. I hardly think its relevant to a planning job. Sure if I wanted to go erect scaffolding or do some ad hoc strip mining it might be a nice idea but I’m not planning on doing either.

And the award date is dumb too. I have to fill out one digit in each box. Fine if it’s a paper form but it isn’t.

Basically, I think this whole form has just been robbed from a paper system and no thought has been given to its content or the implications of it or the shitty formatting which wouldn’t have been a problem if it was printed out but this just looks really weak electronically.

3 comments:

Nick said...

Why thanks, still trying to work out what 'on form' is though.

I have no idea what was done to the template. I suspect an originally badly formatted word document and I really couldn't say what happened from there.

Anonymous said...

I agree with BNG.

Also, I would *really* love to know the circumstances under which you need to pop out to do some ad hoc strip mining.

Made me grin :-)

Nick said...

dp: I would let you know when ad hoc strip mining would be necesary but unfortunately I don't have a CSCS card so couldn't say!

I am suprised you two didn't have more to say on the paperless office I am supposedly constructing.