Monday, October 17, 2005

Stirling work

So The Scottish Parliament Building in Edinburgh won the RIBA Stirling Prize this year. At least the £20,000 prize should offset the £400 million overspend on it.

Not the one I wanted to win as I thought Wil Alsop’s ridiculous sense of creative fun in the Fawood Children’s Centre in Harlesden was sufficiently thoughtful and crazy at the same time to warrant recognition but there we go. Norman Foster didn’t win it either with the admittedly very cool McLaren Technology Centre. Then again, at least the prize went to somebody other than Alsop or Foster who seem to have a habit of winning everything architectural these days.

I didn’t get to watch the unveiling live as I was at a quiz evening in a village down the road which was a surprising bit of fun. Even if the team I was on had a combined age of about half of any other teams. Still, made me feel younger than the standard Saturday evening fare of standing around in a crowded bar with a bunch of stinky teenagers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked the McClaren building best closely followed by the William's factory. The Scottish parliament building is horrible. Mind you Dad has got some cool photos of it when we were there last year!