Tuesday, October 11, 2005

A curious incident

Yes, I am still going on about my little Torquay excursion (it was eventful). Last post about it I promise.

The book I finally picked to read on the journey there and back was the curious incident of the dog in the night time (thanks to K8 (lives up north, engaged to Bng), Kate (doesn’t live up north, not engaged to Bng) and Laura for recommending it and Kate for lending it to me) and it was one of the best books I have read in a long time. I’m not going to tell you all about it because that would spoil it, just go and read it, it’s very good and doesn’t take long. I recon I managed it in about four to five hoursish.

One of things most curious about this book and my personal connection to it is how whilst reading the events taking place to the lead character within it, at one point the same (well similar, I don’t see the world in numbers of course) events were actually happening to me. I hate to be all cryptic about this but don’t want to spoil it for those who haven’t read it.

It was interesting as the main character in the book’s similar activities caught up with and subsequently overtook mine. It is also the only time when reading a work of literature has had the direct effect of instantly making my life better through, in this case, the reproduction of an extract of the Bakerloo line within the book itself which prompted me to realise it was a better idea to get on the Bakerloo line to Marylebone from Paddington than the Circle line to Baker Street for connecting trains home. And indeed it returned me to my flat approximately 20 minutes faster, I think, than if had stuck to the original plan to go to Baker Street.

So now if you haven’t read the book, you are going to have to if you want to understand what the hell I am talking about.

(Also, if you change twice there is a better chance you will get a car rather than a goat).

No comments: