Thursday, February 16, 2006

Playing it cool

So starting off at a new job with entirely new people in a new environment presents me with the very rare opportunity of creating a unique first impression to numerous new people. I am unsure how I should approach this and have been toying with a couple of approaches:

Mysterious stranger: Stay quiet and only chime in when I have something sage or insightful to say. Drawbacks being I would probably never say anything, not being particularly sage or insightful.

Hawaiian: Buy pairs of sunglasses to match every shirt I own and wear them all the time. Of course I can’t afford that many decent pairs of sunglasses so would probably end up looking like Timmy Mallet and I probably wouldn’t be able to see where I was going most of the time although that might be a good thing.

Innuendo: Turn everything into a sex joke, could be funny if I was in a sit-com. Folks would probably think I was just a sleazy jerk though.

Yoda: Speak like Yoda I would. Construct without planning permission and enforcement notice receive you will. Think like twat I would sound.

Refined: Maybe sport a curly pipe like Sherlock Homes’ sidekick, get a monocle like Patrick Moore and a pocket watch too. Actually I think that would be like way fun to do. I wonder where you could buy a pipe, a monocle and a pocket watch. Ebay has got to have some stuff like that surely?

4 comments:

Nick said...

Yeah, it could certainly be fun. Probably a better sort of thing to do really in a temp job where you couldn't give a crap about what your fellow employees think of you.

In practice I would be delighted if I could pull off as little as 'fairly quiet guy who seems to know what he's talking about.'

Anonymous said...

How about being Camp Nick? Being slightly scrawny, acting as a drama queen, and shouting high pitched to your self about things?! ;o)

Nick said...

I'd take offence at that were it not irritatingly accurate.

Anonymous said...

Sorry dude!