Thursday, December 15, 2005

Space monkeys

I don’t know if anyone else has been watching Space Cadets on Channel 4. I have been watching when the opportunity arises with some interest. The sets are well set-up and persuasively done and the premise is certainly entertaining.

But the more I watch, the more I think that everyone in the supposed space shuttle must all be actors and the whole thing is a giant hoax on the viewers. It must be, surely, right. Nobody can be that dumb as to think they can be in a nice roomy big-brother style space shuttle, pissing about in orbit around planet earth, with no lack of gravity issues or any other serious considerations about breathable air, fuel consumption, flight trajectory or any of the many, many other serious issues that arise with space travel. I am not the only one who thinks this may be the case.

Perhaps I am being unduly harsh or cynical on the 'contestants.' If your environment looks the part, everyone is telling you that that is what is going on and you have no base line of previous experience of the sensation to refute this I don't doubt it could be difficult to make that leap of faith. But seriously, come on. You're supposed to be in a space shuttle floating round in orbit but you are not floating too. It ain't star trek you know.

Its over on Friday (I think) so I guess I get to find out whether my theory is correct or whether the 'cosmonauts' really are that dumb.

No comments: