Monday, December 05, 2005

Bored of inevitability

It is now nearly a month since I was provisionally offered the [withdrawn] job and my provisionally accepting yet still no contract has been arranged. I am therefore stuck in this weird limbo land where I can’t hand my notice in at my present work in case something goes wrong (and knowing my luck, if it could, it would) but nor can I start sorting stuff out to get ready for a change.

So at work I have no enthusiasm for anything that I do but this is tempered by the fact that I have no firm guarantee yet of actually getting to go. This is added to my two months notice I have to run (once I am actually in a position to hand it in) and I can then actually leave.

Meanwhile at home I am undertaking the eminently dull task of sorting the three years worth of crap that I have accumulated into some semblance of order so that if I ever get the green light on the [withdrawn] job at least I can move fast(ish). This does not take away from it being a painfully dull task.

Anyway, so it looks like it will now be the beginning of February at best until I can leave my present job. The sugary glaze on this scenario though is that my parents are on holiday in Australia and New Zealand during February and March so if I get forced out of my current flat I can live at their nice house in the country rent free for two months (without the parental involvement that would drive me nuts). Of course the commute would suck more than an industrial grade Dyson and there would be no broadband, or sky, or friends, or take aways, or street lighting and then of course there are the ritual witch burnings and pagan festivals that happen in darkest Buckinghamshire but for zero rent I am not complaining about that (at least too much) (for the short term).

So another weekend passed of kicking around waiting for my own paperwork to catch up with me so I can get my life moving again.

Meanwhile the conundrum of where to live next (permanently) continues to play out. No matter how much I try to convince myself that I would be happy with a walk from North Ealing tube station to the office after arriving there from wherever else on the Piccadilly line, lets face it, I am not going to be happy with that as it is a longer walk than my present commute to work (in the theoretical situation that I walked that) after however long on the tube.

So I am back to considering things along the
suburban rail lines into Ealing Broadway which is way closer. But I refuse to live in Southall, Hayes or West Drayton because they are at the bottom of the runway at Heathrow airport, are really rough, chav strongholds and well, there are other erm… ethnic issues that I really shouldn’t have a problem with but just do ok (I am sorry if that makes me a bad person). So this leaves somewhere called Iver, Langley (a glorified mobile home park), Slough (no comment), Burnham (read Slough), Taplow (again read Slough) and Maidenhead…

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So the Manor Estate is free for a while, does that mean we can finally have that house party over there that you have been on about for probably nearly a year?!

K8 said...

My grandma used to live in Iver Heath. It is much better than Slough but I am not sure I would recommend it. Some parts are a bit run down but it has a nice 'local' feel if that is what you are after.

I always thought Burnham was reasonably posh. Burnham beeches, the woods, is really nice, very pretty and countrysidy.

Langley is very close to Iver and pretty similar from what I know.

I will see if I can find some pictures.

K8 said...

http://www.fanderson.org.uk/images/blackpark.jpeg

This is black park lake. An ideal loaction if you want to kill someone and dump the body.

It is near Langley I think

K8 said...

Oh yeah Pinewood studios is around there too so you get to tell everyone that you keep bumping into famous people all the time. They normally film the 'bonds' there.

Anonymous said...

Theyve filmed loads of stuff round there. Robin Hood Prince of Theives was actually filmed in Burnham Beeches as opposed to Sherwood Forest!!
Also Angelina Jolie apparently lives in Fulmer which is nearby so you might be able to bump into her!!

Nick said...

Ok, black park lake looks way sinister, like the dingy end of the everglades.

And I am already trying to meet Angelina Jolie in Sainsburys in Beaconsfield but I guess she has 'people' to do her weekly shop for her.

Anonymous said...

I used to work IN fulmer and am still work just down the road. I have never seen any famous people, despite Angelina, Brad and Graeme Le Soux living there. Iver is ok. Langley is hmmm well.... Burnham Beeches is lovely and not in slough but Burnham comes under slough (people from work live there). I did know one person who lived in Iver and said it was nice but he moved to Bourne End and Maidenhead is the place of choice to live but us pricey. Fulmer is really nice in the middle of nowhere but has a good pub.