Friday, December 16, 2005

Communication

It has now been three and a bit months that I have been doing this blog thing. Despite getting irked by it on occasion, particularly when I don’t feel like writing anything, it has been a fairly enjoyable experience and feedback has always been really good (but as I think I have said before I doubt anyone would tell me outright that it royally sucked). One of my original reasons for starting it was to try to keep in touch with people and to an extent it has succeeded in that intention, although predominantly in ways that I was not expecting (as with many other things).

The main day-to-day issue that has arisen out of this is when talking to people I sometimes find myself at a loss when people appear to continue conversations based on blog posts. Not that I don’t welcome this. It’s nice to know that people not only read what I have written, but also paid attention and retained some of the merry nonsense that I come out with.

However this can be mildly unnerving from my point of view (but don’t get me wrong, not in a bad way). I do appreciate that people actually read the blog but I never really know how much people have read or remembered and indeed sometimes wonder whether I have had a conversation along similar lines with someone or exchanged emails etc. I don’t really feel I can say, ‘so you have been reading the blog’ because it sounds a little Nick-centric so on occasion end up floundering slightly trying to recall what, if anything, I have posted and how likely this person is to know about it until generally it is resolved with a smile and a ‘yes, Nick, I have read the blog’ (or not).

This can disappoint on occasion though too as sometimes people seem to know more about what’s up with me than I do about what’s up with them leaving me a little on the back foot. It can perhaps seem a little invasive I think to insist on persistent questioning to try to bring myself back up to a level par.

Ultimately really the blog thing is only ever going to be one way impartation of information as folks are unlikely to post feedback comments telling me all about them (but you can do that too if you like). And despite some coaxing nobody else seems to have taken up their own blogging reigns…

Anyway, I guess what I am trying to convey with this post is that I appreciate people reading the blog. That is, as I have said, one of my main reasons for doing it. And I think I would now be slightly upset if everyone stopped reading and my enthusiasm would probably go out of the window.

So thanks for reading folks, please keep coming back (in spite of the weak posts) (yes, yesterdays was pretty dire I know) and don’t forget to let me know what’s up with you too.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So does that mean us regular readers/commenters get a special xmas pressie for our loyalty and attentiveness?!

Nick said...

Erm... no. To be blunt.

Anonymous said...

I want a present!!!

Anonymous said...

Well maybe you should start some form of loyalty scheme?!

Anonymous said...

I can definately see where you are coming from, blogs are like a little brain window which is what makes them so interesting. And in return, I give you permission ask me blunt questions to catch up.

Nick said...

aw, thanks Elenor!