Thursday, May 18, 2006

New offices

In one months time I move offices. Up until now I have worked in a shabby 1960s relic which is wholly unfit for modern purposes. The building is ear marked for demolition at the end of this year so it (quite reasonably) has not been maintained recently. The result is a building with spalling concrete, failing lifts, boarded up broken windows, shabby carpets and a general demeanour of a building on its way out. The movers have been slowly emptying the place of furniture for the past month or so already.

The new building I am moving into is a very smart, high-tech, ultra-modern edifice replete with white stone internal corridors, brushed steel surrounds, dramatic expanses of glazing and cooling wall colours which change depending on whereabouts you are in the building. All of this is completely new, I slash we will be the first occupants of our area in this building. There are also a range of working arrangement options featuring quiet rooms, informal working spaces and lounge sitting areas complete with plasma screen TVs hung on the wall. And you don’t just go to the toilet here. You have a high-tech lavatorial experience.

So I am pretty excited about working somewhere which is really quite so blatantly cool.

However there is a drawback.

I don’t get my own desk. In fact nobody gets a desk. I get a wheelie cart and cupboard to keep my stuff in but my desk is whatever workstation I choose or can find in the morning. I am honestly not sure how this is going to work and am a little apprehensive about it. Time shall tell I guess.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember when I used to hot desk here mate? It wasnt fun at all

Nick said...

yeah and it was just you doing it. not absolutely everyone!