Friday, March 02, 2007

Colds, skis and travels

I notice I haven’t done a post in a little while. Erm, so here is one.

At the moment I am busting with excitement as in just a little over a week we will be in Vancouver. However, to temper my enthusiasm I am presently suffering from a bizarre cold which has been afflicting me for the past few weeks. It started with a sore throat, moved on to block my ears and now appears to be on my nose with a case of the sniffles. Its odd though because I generally don’t get colds like this. Personally I blame having to board a skanky and overcrowded train every day and work in unreasonably air conditioned office and enjoy the delights of dozen times recycled air.

Anyhow, last weekend we had a short break in Cornwall (photos on Claire’s flickr) which was very pleasant and relaxing. We can recommend the Port Gaverne Hotel (or, well the self catering cottages annexed to it to be precise) very highly.

Highlights include missing the last ferry from Padstow to Rock and them kindly laying on a special service just for us and our ‘gentle walk’ along the coastal path between Port Isaac and Port Quin turning into a near marathon due to the massive descents and climbs along the coastal path which clings tightly to the seriously undulating cliff face and extreme weather conditions in the form of a proper North Atlantic wind. However a (rather late) lunch of ham, egg and mash for me (because they had run out of chips) and freshly caught fish pie (obviously the fish being the caught bit) for Claire ameliorated the mild exhaustion.

In other news I can now ski, albeit only in a straight line as I have ‘issues’ with corners. I have one more lesson to do before I end up going down a mountain proper so hopefully can get this resolved by then otherwise I am going to have to hope for one very straight mountain in Whistler.

That’s about it I think.

No comments: